We believe students from all economic backgrounds should have the opportunity to attend the University of Washington. Finances should not be a barrier to getting a world-class education. Whether you attend our Seattle, Tacoma, or Bothell campuses, you’re in the right place to explore the many scholarship, grant, loan and work-study options available that help make paying for college as affordable as possible.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get in contact with a Financial Aid counselor?

There are multiple ways you can get in touch with us. You can get in contact with our financial aid counselors by calling 206-543-6101 during our phone service hours, or by emailing us at osfa@uw.edu.

Phone service hours:

Monday – Friday

12: 00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.

In-person advising (room 105 Schmitz Hall):

For the week of 3/25 through 3/29

Monday – Friday 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.

If you have questions regarding our processing time, or email response time, please see our current processing times on this page.

I am a newly admitted student - now what?

We understand you and your parent(s) may have many questions about what steps are next, what type if aid you are eligible for and other questions related to the financial aid process. We have gathered useful information for newly admitted students on this page.

If you are from out of state this page has some useful information.

Given the 24-25 FAFSA delays, what are my options in meeting the February 28 priority target date?

We understand that the Department of Education’s delays and technical issues can cause concern for you and your family. We want to assure you that we are monitoring the situation and staying informed of any other possible delays or issues with the 24-25 FAFSA.

Due to these FAFSA delays, OSFA will internally adjust our priority target date to include students who were unable to start their FAFSA by February 28 and ensure you are included in our priority group.  We ask that you complete your FAFSA as soon as possible during the first weeks of March so that we can prepare an award offer for you as soon as possible.

My contributor does not have SSN. Can I complete the FAFSA?

Department of Education has resolved the issue for students whose family members include a parent or spouse without a Social Security Number (SSN) unable to access the FAFSA. Families should now be able to access and complete the FAFSA. If you were unable to complete the filing of your FAFSA because one or more of your contributors did not have a SSN, please attempt to file your 2024-25 FAFSA now. 

What can I do if my income or my family’s income has changed?

We understand this is a challenging and difficult time and there is much uncertainty right now. We are here to help. If you are experiencing a change in your or your family’s income, please let us know by providing additional information about your situation.

If your parent(s) are experiencing a change in their financial situation, please have them complete the Revision Request for Change in Financial Situation.

All our forms can be found on our forms page.


More answers to frequently asked questions can be found here. If these FAQ’s do not help address your question, then please contact us.